Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The other Washington ……. DC

I have pretty much used this blog as my journal and for the first time since I started this blog I have let it go. Not sure why but once you stop it get easier and easier to not return to your blog post because there is so much to catch up on. So for that reason I am going to start with today and then hopefully catch up before the year ends. Doug was invited by Fox News to come to Washington D.C. and tour the fox news station there and of cores I got to go with him. We left on Thursday the 8th and return on Sunday. We left early in the morning and 5 hours later landed in the Dulles Airport and were picked up by a limo which was fun to ride in and about 5:30 pm. we arrived at our hotel. We had not eaten sense breakfast we had a snack on the plane but we were really hungry and there was not very many restaurants around our hotel except on just down the street that our driver told us about. I wish I took a picture of the entrance it had two very Large Nutcrackers outside the doors. It was a very old building with all the old architecture so that was cool we waited in line forever and then waited some more to be seated so we took a walk around the town. Our hotel was just down the street from the Old Ebbitt Grill. We finally got to eat and the food was delicious. I found some pictures on the internet of the front of the restaurant. I think they only had the nutcrackers out for Christmas.

Old Ebbitt Grill low resThe main dining room when you walk in we did not get to eat here we ate at down stairs in the atrium.

main_dining

atrium_booths

The Hotel that we stayed at was called the W hotel in down town Washington DC. The first picture is from the internet the rest I took.

26599454018813742_C0vsdsrQ_c

f brendin 1

brendin2

for Bredin

I should have taken a picture of our room but I forgot too this is all that I have of the room. It was pretty modern looking with a few touches of traditional. I am sitting in a huge purple wing back chair with a foot stool. I found a picture on the internet of the bathroom leading into the bedroom. Our room didn’t have to door at the end of the hall like this picture. We had a great night our first night but on Friday and Saturday all of Washington seemed to show up at out hotel to go to the ruff top party which we could hear down in our room on the 7th floor until around 2 in the morning. I was wondering why they had free ear plugs by our bed.

room

brendin 3

The very top of our hotel were the real partying took place. We didn’t go up there at night because you had to be dressed to the extreme and we didn’t bring clothes like that. We went up in the day time and looked around. I didn’t take pictures because that would have been to embarrassing it was crowded with people and I didn’t want to draw attention to my self. So I did the next best thing I got pictures off the internet.

26599454018813748_joj7yaNQ_c

26599454018813747_wGR58NkT_c

there was a great view of DC from up there but they had plastic all around to keep it warm when we were there so my pictures would not have turned out well anyway.

Below is a picture I took as we were walking back to our hotel. the one with the decorations is the Willard hotel and has a lot of history to it. ours is at the end of the photo on the corner.

Washington DC 312

The back and side entrance has the hotel Washington sing up still and above that is the big W.

Washington DC 323

The Willard hotel was next to ours and was a beautiful hotel with lots of history and was restored very well with all the old moldings and carvings with beautiful furnishings. Abraham Lincoln, Mark Twain, Just to name a few stayed here. It was decorated for Christmas and had a hall of historical treasures that we spent one night looking at.

Washington DC 315

Washington DC 314

Washington DC 377

The Tree with the red ribbons on is actually sitting in a big water fountain. All the water fountains around town all had the water taken out and Christmas trees replaced in them or colored glass etc.

The next morning we had a big day for us planed. Doug and I were surprised that there were only 2 other people invited to be on the trip. One girl was from California and had a advertising company there she invited her client from Las Vegas. So it was just the 4 of us and the 2 girls from New York who worked for fox news.

We all got into our Black Suburban with our driver and headed for the pentagon first. I thought this would be boring but it wasn’t there was a lot going on when we where there. First of all I learned that the pentagon is like a little city with all kinds of shops in it. We walked by a red box video rental, a jewelry store, and of coarse a souvenir shop, etc. Our tour guide was set up by fox news girls and was a big shot in the army so he took us around to see things and a few that were not on the usual tour for the general public. It was a big day for them that particular day they had a parade for the wounded where the wounded veterans were invited to come and all the people that work in the pentagon lined the hall ways and clapped as they walked by. We found out later on the news that J.R. Martinez who was on dancing with the stars and general hospital was there also but we didn’t get to see him. They had the army band playing they were really good. They had a big army navy football game they were getting ready for the next day so there was a lot of celebration going on for that and a lot of Army, Navy people there.

combined photos of doug and i in pentigone

The picture above is at the entrance of the Pentagon. Below is were the president will some times speak to the press. It is in the hall of something I cant remember the name but all the walls are covered by people that got special awards for bravery starting back to some of our earliest wars in our country.

Washington DC 007

End of part 1 of our trip. Part 2 coming soon.

No comments: